This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Latest News

With the impending snow forecast, there may be some disruption to the daily running of Winchcombe Medical Centre

DoctorLink -virtual health assistant

As pressures continue to build on the NHS they are continually looking for new ways to help manage the workload to increase the outcome for the patients. Investment has been made into digital technology enabling patients to access guidance 24/7 on healthcare matters.

As part of a GCCG (Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group) initiative Winchcombe Medical Practice was selected to be part of a pilot, with five other practices in Gloucestershire, to trial a virtual health assistant. The product selected via the vetting process was DoctorLink.

DoctorLink is a virtual health assistant which can be used to check your symptoms with the clinically approved symptom checker and get directed to the right treatment; whether emergency care, a doctor, nurse, self-care or book an appointment with your GP if your symptoms mean you need to see a doctor.

To be able to access this facility you need to be a registered patient at the Winchcombe Medical Centre and register online for DoctorLink at this address: 

Care Quality Commission – read our latest inspection report

Have your say – join our Patient Group

‘Change Of Prescribing For Over The Counter Medications’

What is changing?

As of May 2018, a range of medicines that are available to buy over the counter from pharmacies and supermarkets will no longer be routinely prescribed by GP Surgeries.

The annual prescribing cost for these medicines in Gloucestershire is around £2 million which could be put to better use to support more serious health conditions.

The change applies to medications for a total of 35 conditions including coughs, colds, hayfever, nappy rash, warts and verrucas, earwax and headlice.

Full list:

Will there be any exceptions?

Patients prescribed an over-the-counter medicine for a long term or more complex health condition.

Where a clinician considers that a patient’s wellbeing could be affected.

How much to these medicines cost?

The average cost of these medicines will be around £2 - £3.

A small pack of paracetamol costs as little as 35p.

Friends & Family November 2018

We had 17 comment cards for November, of these 88 % would be extremely likely to recommend us and the remaining 12 % likely.

Some of the comments were :

'Thank you to Dispensary for their efficient service and letting pt know the script was sent to the chemist. Very organised and impressive.'

'I have no complaints about the clinic and have had no problem in being given an appointment. The clinic is a credit to the area and we are fortunate to have it.'

'Sophie Wing - empathetic, compassionate and patient. Highest standards of pastoral care.'

'Whilst waiting for my routine appointment, a baby was in distress requiring urgent medical treatment and ambulance. The team at WMC pulled together amazingly - appeared calm and responded quickly. Informed patients of the delay and kept us updated. I think you are an amazingly professional team. I highly commend you for your patient care and professionalism.'

'I was invited to come for a flu jab and shingles . The whole process was carried out very efficiently and staff were very friendly and approachable. A good experience all round.'

Health News from the BBC and the NHS

BBC Health
NHS Choices Behind the Headlines
Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website